Round one of the virtual 2021 QMJHL Entry Draft commences tonight at 7:30 p.m.
The draft is a special time for not only the players being selected, but the families as well. Although this year’s event is once again virtual, the day is just as special for these young men who work hard all season long to get to this moment.
Today we take a look at our first round picks, which the team currently has two of in the lineup – Yoan Loshing, and goaltender Vincent Filion.
Loshing was the team’s 13th overall selection in last summer’s draft. Vincent Filion however, took a different path to Moncton being acquired during a trade. Filion was originally drafted by the Val d’Or Foreurs, 6th overall in 2020 and was acquired by the team during the Jordan Spence trade at Christmas time.
Although the team does not currently hold a first-round pick headed into tonight, there is still lots of time for trades and movement to happen!
Today we feature first rounder, Yoan Loshing. Although his season was cut short due to injury, he caught the eye of many fans during the season, playing 19 games and recording 8 points.
Draft Day Journal – Yoan Loshing
A year ago, you were getting ready for draft day yourself. What was that day like for you?
- It was definitely different having the draft virtual but I was still able to share the day with family and friends. I remember sitting with my family Friday night waiting, when my name was finally called it was an incredible moment to share with everyone!
Once drafted, how did you feel about coming to Moncton?
- I was so excited to come to Moncton. I quickly realized that Moncton was a great hockey city and I have truly enjoyed my time here so far.
Other than the difficulties this year with COVID-19, how was your first season in the league?
- My first season in the QMJHL was great. I learned a lot over the past year and I’m looking forward to showing more of what I can do next season along with playing a bigger role. We had such a great group of guys, it was a strange year no doubt but I have some great memories from my first year in the QMJHL.
What have you been up to this summer, on and off the ice?
- I have been working out hard this summer, the off-season is not as long as it seems and I want to ensure I am at the top of my game when I come back for training camp in August.
What is your advice for new players getting drafted to the QMJHL?
- Enjoy the day, even though you are not in an arena for the draft it is still something memorable. Spend the time with family and friends, the ones who have supported you throughout your journey. It is something that will only happen once so embrace it and remember the day!